Okay, so what I made isn’t quite an authentic JapaDog, for obvious reasons.
But what I did have, was a pretty tasty rendition… I should’ve taken a picture, but I totally forgot. I guess the proper name for this would be an Okono-mayo-ki dog… with wasabi? That’s an awkward mouthful of bastardized words, right there.
Here’s what I did:
* Take a nice soft loaf of french bread and make a thin slice, but don’t cut all the way through the loaf.
* Make a second thin slice right beside it, this time all the way through, making a nice little french loaf hotdog pocket.
* Spread a thin coating of wasabi on both inner sides of the bread.
* Do the same thing with okonomiyaki sauce.
* Place your (boiled) hotdog into the bun and squeeze an indecent amount of Kewpie mayo over the dog.
* Sprinkle snipped nori pieces over the mayo (I used 3 packets of the flavoured nori) and lots of bonito flakes.
* And just because, top the whole mess with a little more okonomiyaki sauce before devouring.
The only thing I can think of to improve on this hotdog would be a little more wasabi and perhaps a bit of lightly pickled cabbage for extra crunch and flavour contrast.
I have to say, I think this might be my preferred method for eating a hotdog from now on. ^_^;;