Candy Cane Spiceworm Gloves — way overdue update!

Over the weekend I had the urge to work on a new crochet project and decided that I wanted to work on something that was created just for me.

In the process of trying to come up with something that piqued my interest, I remembered that I still had my unfinished Candy Cane Spiceworm Gloves that I had started way back in 2010.

2010!

It’s been almost three whole years since I began the project and I still can’t believe it. o_O;; It just seems so weird to read, and realize all that time has passed on paper, yet it does not physically feel like it’s been three years. Where does time go? It’s such a bizarre concept to think about time escaping to somewhere unknown, somewhere untraceable by the mind…

Anyhow, I managed to get back into the swing of working on the gloves pretty quickly — it only required a few replays of the original technique video of the pattern, I loosely based my gloves on — and now I am rather proud to say that I’ve almost completed my first mitten in its entirety! It’s still in need of a thumb, but it looks and feels pretty fantastic considering all the tedious work that came from making each individual thrum!

Candy Cane Spiceworm Gloves, minus thumb
Candy Cane Spiceworm Gloves, minus thumb

The biggest concern from the get-go for this pattern was that this yarn is so bulky and there’s so little per ball (50g/60m) that I thought I may be screwed. I only have 4 balls on hand and I had bought it back when K1C2 was having their going out of business clearance sale, eons ago, so there’s no chance of buying more should I need it.

This stuff is so beautifully soft and squishy but I was pretty sure I didn’t have enough to complete both gloves. What I had originally decided to do was to allocate 2 balls of yarn per mitten, hoping to get the body completely finished to the fingertips and then use some other similarly massive, bulky & squishy yarn to finish the thumbs – in fact, if you recall the green yarn I used for my first ever blanket project, the Expensive Woolly Blanket of Doom from waaaaaaaay back in 2007(!!), I still have some of that left. believe it or not. So I thought I would make the thumbs green.

Turns out, the 4 balls of yarn that I have is enough to complete the mittens in their entirety! I’ve finished the body of mitten #1 and there’s still about 1/3 of the second allocated ball remaining (for this mitten) to make the thumb!

I’m so thrilled that I will be able to complete the mittens in all the same colour instead of having to make that colour change I had originally planned for the thumbs. I am a little disappointed that the thrums are so janky-looking in the spots where you can see I started to decrease each round for the mitten top, but I can’t really complain too much since this was my first attempt at making a mitten without being able to properly read a mitten pattern (or any visual pattern, for that matter) in the first place.

Cross your fingers I’ll be able to remember how I originally started the pattern when I begin mitten #2 in the very near future.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s